[Kde-games-devel] Card deck library

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Nov 8 01:01:26 CET 2008

(AFAICT this got lost; trying again... apologies if the original shows up.)

Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
> I like the overall look of it very much, but the colours are 'wrong'. Clubs
> should be green, and spades should be black�. (This also more logical, as
> clovers are green and spades are often black in real life.)

According to your wikipedia link, Germans would disagree ;-) . To me,
"clubs" are something you hit people with ("black and blue") and
"spades" are used for gardening. That said... I can see going either way.

> Also, I think the hearts should look more red (perhaps pure red?). Now they
> look too much like the diamonds.

Unfortunately, the color quality depends on the monitor. If I make them
look less like the diamonds, then it becomes harder to think "red" and
"black" for games where that matters. I went through several iterations
getting the right balance of similarity and distinction. (And, also, I
already think the diamonds are "too red", so I don't want to make the
hearts any /more/ red. Maybe I'll try a black/white deck that won't have
that problem.)

> Lastly, the top part of the green cards look almost black. Since it's the
> top part that is shown when the cards are not in the front, this is a
> problem.

Again, it seems to be highly related to the color properties of your
monitor. For me it seems just right. Also...

> I think it's better to flip the gradient, so that the cards are
> lightest at the top (which is also more in line with the custom that the
> light comes from the top left).

...I tried this and it looks awful (IMO) ;-) .

--
Matthew
No .sig for you! NEXT! -- Unknown