[Kde-games-devel] Multiplayer updates

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Sun Mar 30 20:10:37 CEST 2008

Hello all,

since my blog is currently offline after someone managed to find a wordpress
exploit in it, I'm sending some maybe interesting updates by mail.

* KReversi
Savegames from the server can now be displayed in web applications. For
learning purposes it might make sense to be able to load savegames from the
client and replay them on a read-only board. I'm going to stress-test the
game online soon, but of course it'd be much better if other, more critical,
people will find bugs.
All impatient SoC student on this list can try to get it to run so they will
also become familar with checking out the source, building, troubleshooting
and so on :-)

* KBattleship
The standalone server for it ('Submarine') has been mostly finished. There are
some client issues with it: If the game is over and the server exits, the
game starts reading from the socket like crazy instead of recognising that it
was closed. It is also not really prepared for a client-server scenario and
will need some protocol modifications, while still keeping the
player-to-player games.
The server is written in Python btw.

* KSquares
Savegame review was already available for web apps, but it would also be nice
to have it in the client, especially since my old game KDots, which
implements the same game, could do that.
The multiplayer mode is now mostly complete. What is missing is some
additional safety against manipulated servers by comparing which filled
squares are reported by the server and which were expected by the client. But
functionality-wise it's complete I'd say. The KGGZ page on techbase provides
some hints on how to test it.

* KFourInLines
Also savegame review support for the web. Today is savegames day for me it
seems. But, alas, not much more yet.

Josef