[Kde-games-devel] Kdragons Game for Summer of Code

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 00:17:33 CET 2008

On Sunday 23 March 2008 12:05:25 srikrishna das wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Srikrishna,
I like the idea of a game with Konqui and Kate as the protagonists, I think
many of us think it would be a cool idea.

> I've been a KDE fan since I started using linux and this year I am trying
> to participate in Gsoc.
> My contributions to KDE till date have been tiny - designed some logos for
> aKademy2008..er Akademy2008.
> Being a gaming addict, I wish to write a game for KDE.
> This is a very small idea that hit me in the process of helping my friends
> (wanna-be linux users) remember desktop applications.
> On windows, they remember notepad -> editing, paint -> image editing, tsc
> -> remote desktop. But, they seem to forget applications like Kpdf, Krita,
> Konsole, vnc, Kate etc.,
>
> So, introducing `kdragons`
>
> *Project:* kdragons

> katie. Minimal storyline is to fly from the start point, dodging snowballs
> and collecting some points* lying on the clouds.
> *The unique feature is that the points konqi/katie collect are icons of
> different application on KDE desktop; each points as collected will pop out
> text messages in the sky naming the application and very short description.
> (for eg: Konsole - a terminal on KDE ).

So it's a bit of an educational game eh? I don't know. It may work.

Alternatively, levels could have an application theme... and use the icon and
application name during the level introduction. So you would have the
Koffice "Island" with KWord, Krita Karbon etc. as sublevels... which would be
desdigned around the application metaphore. Uhm this could be much more work,
however...

> I guess most users remember names/images/characters from games/movies more
> than in software. So this should be of some help.
>
> I will try to design few stages based on similar concept as per the time
> constrains for me.
>
> After soc, this game can be extended with ideas like:
>
> 1. Simulatenous 2 player gameplay.
> 2. A villian character at the end of each stage.
> 3. Adding firebreathing power for konqi and snowflakes power for katie
>     (so konqi can melt snowballs, but cannot extinguish the fireballs;
> vice-versa for katie - will be fun in 2player scenario)
> 4. Fight with collected points ( random proprietary application icons are
> shooted at the player and they have to shootback with the foss alternative
> ) 5. Adding stages based on applications.
>     ( eg: stage name: KOffice and the player just collected an irc icon
> from one of the clouds. This should pop up #koffice @ irc.freenode.net ) 6.
> Kombat stage between konqi and katie (something like streetfighter or
> mortal kombat)
> 7. 3D version of the game ( help from people with blender skills, good game
> engine knowledge and lots of time to contribute )
>
> And there will be lots of ideas coming in...
>
> *Language:*   I am thinking with python with pygame libs now.

Well... Nothing wrong with that, but it poses some problems.

I think kdegames is a collection of games based on the KDE technology. Using a
different platform means that kdegames would need to add new dependencies.

Even if you would base it on the Qt/KDE Python bindings, this would be the
first interpreted game shipped with kdegames. I'm not in  the position of
accepting or rejecting your application, and I know there has been talk about
having more interpreted code around, so this could not be an (big)
obstacle -- but nonetheless, it could complicate the matter.

> C++ is a long lost habit for me. ( Lecturers gave me weird look for not
> writing code to be run on TurboC compiler[windows] ).

Is TurboC still around!? I used it last in 1993, I think, during my brief
parenthesis as a DOS programmer.

> I wanted to add this on the ideas page of 2008, so if someone comes up to
> work on the same project more features come up soon. But then, I thought
> it'd be best to as the mentors/developers/experienced people for some
> feedback.

Good idea. Well, I like the general idea and I think arcade games are
underrepresented in our current offering. So I'd very much like to see some
development of your idea.

> CC'd this to Cornelius, its the only name I see as mentor under KDE Games
> as of now.
>
> So, by now everyone reading this knows I talk a lot :)
> Expecting feedback, suggestions and some mentors. ( greed for more mentors
> - to bug one if the other is not available )

Sorry, I can't help you there! :)
But, good luck!

Luciano