[Kde-games-devel] Kapman

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Mar 20 23:55:36 CET 2008

Pierre-Benoit Besse wrote:
>> 1)artwork is not good, walls look bad.im sure they will be changed, but
> atm
>> they are bad
> We were supposed to have Johan Olivier Lapeyre to draw us nice graphics but
> he seems to have disapeared. Ervin found us Matthew instead but he seems
> more inclined to change graphics drawing to a tile-based stuff and we wont
> be able to do it until April.

I'm doing art too! :-)

But as I keep telling you, my opinion from both a code and artist
perspective is that trying to do a whole-maze graphic, per maze, per
theme, is nuts :-). (As you've noticed, even for only-one-maze I find
tiles easier to draw than a whole-maze, since the things I am trying to
do currently involve drawing the tiles first anyway...)

At any rate, I don't think you've seen the stuff I did work on:
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/6435/kapman1ow6.png

I don't think I've shown the in-progress walls or background to anyone
before this (and note that there are also new pill and energizer graphics).

> Anyway, artwork should be increased :)

Actually, I'd be happy to share ideas, especially with anyone that wants
to take a crack at an oxygen-style player or ghost...

>> 5)could the map get changed on every level? that would be good
> It is not planned yet but with a little work, architecture should allow
> graphists to integrate their own levels.

With the walls-as-tiles stuff I did, it should already be working,
actually... (Except the current XML syntax is not what I would call
human-writable, but that's easily fixed... in fact that's something else
I'm sitting on at the moment.)

>> IMO, before the release we should also work on a Oxygen-style default
>> team, one that does not resemble the commercial game that inspired the
>> development so much

Aww, and what's wrong with that? :-)

> Agreed ! Waiting for artists ! :)

Um... working on it? (But see above.)

>> This seems like a perfect opportunity to use KGameDifficulty. Kapteam? I
>> personally think the game is ok now for very young children
> Well, we must be very young childrens then :P
> More seriously, about speed, it seems we have some performance problems on
> some PCs, for example my Kapman seem slower than Thomas' one. Maybe yours is
> slowed as well.

Turn off the player animation ;-). That fixed the performance problems
for me. (In the long run, pixmap caching should solve this, right now
the main problem I've observed is that the svg is re-rendered every time
the frame changes.)

--
Matthew
"The government is not trying to destroy Microsoft, it's simply seeking