[Kde-games-devel] Puzzle game for KDE

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Mar 20 20:25:27 CET 2008

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 04:05 am, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> Our game (we've just decided to call it "Palapeli" which is the Finnish
> word for "puzzle") works more like a real-life puzzle. You have a pile of
> pieces laying on the ground (just like when you dump the pieces out of the
> box) which you can move and rotate freely. When the right pieces are near
> together, they'll be combined automatically. You'll have to move and rotate
> pieces until they are all combined into one big image.

Aha, I think you are talking about what is called a *jigsaw puzzle* in
English, or just a *jigsaw*.  Originally they were made from a sheet of
plywood with a picture glued to it, then a very thin saw (also called
a jigsaw) was used to cut out the pieces.

Sorry to be pedantic, Stefan, but I was confused as to what kind
of puzzle you meant when I saw your first email in this thread.

There are of course several "puzzle" games of other kinds in KDE Games,
such as KSudoku and KAtomic, but no jigsaw puzzles.  So a jigsaw puzzle
game would be very welcome I am sure and would exploit the scene/view
capabilities of QGraphicsView very nicely.  And then there would be infinite
new possibilities for our hard-worked artists ... :-)

How will the "sawing" of the pieces be done?  Regular pattern?  Slightly
randomized pattern, etc.?  It would be a nice feature for people to be
able to take any picture, choose a number of pieces and a pattern
difficulty, then "saw" the picture up into their own puzzle pieces.

> Fine. Expect some first code for Palapeli to appear in playground/games
> this weekend.

I can hardly wait! :-)

Old jigsaw puzzle freak, Ian W.