[Kde-games-devel] Summer of Code Idea(s)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Mar 19 18:17:26 CET 2008

On Wednesday 19 March 2008, Ben Boeckel wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 March 2008 07:09:08 am Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > > I have been wanting to play word games lately and I was disappointed
> > > that KDE did not offer any. I would like to help create quality word
> > > games for KDE. I was thinking that maybe word searches or fill-it-ins
> > > (these would also work with numbers) would be a nice start.
> >
> > I think KWordQuiz from the KDE EDU module can at least do the
> > fill-it-ins, it can probably do more of the things you have mind.
>
> Hmm...I don't see it in KDE3 (I just got the SVN of kdeedu and am compiling
> it now).

It might be new in kdeedu, e.g. either totally new or renamed or previously
maintained in some other module or external repository.

> If it doesn't have what I was thinking of, I know Scrabulous (the
> Facebook app) is extremely popular and I also know that WeBoggle
> (http://weboggle.shackworks.com/) is also popular. A Scrabble clone
> (Skrabble?) or a Boggle clone that can, optionally, hook into the WeBoggle
> would be useful (it should also allow network play through GGZ).

Please note that I didn't question the motivation itself, I actually like the
idea of doing a game or game related functionality as a SoC project, but
since I am subsribed to quite some KDE mailinglists I remembered reading
about "fill in" on kde-edu [1]

> Plus, I
> don't think many users get kdeedu since they think it's "only" educational
> stuff.

That depends on distribution packaging.

Anyway, speaking with my SoC mentor hat on., if you are going to apply with a
SoC idea which sounds like it already exists in another KDE application, it
will not help your SoC application.
In case you think that it is not a duplication and cannot be added to the
other program, you better have this reasoning clearly visible in the SoC
application text.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-edu&m=120526947023819&w=2