[Kde-games-devel] Summer of Code Idea(s)

Ben Boeckel mathstuf at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 18:50:41 CET 2008

On Wednesday 19 March 2008 01:17:26 pm Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > > I think KWordQuiz from the KDE EDU module can at least do the
> > > fill-it-ins, it can probably do more of the things you have mind.
> >
> > Hmm...I don't see it in KDE3 (I just got the SVN of kdeedu and am
> > compiling it now).
>
> It might be new in kdeedu, e.g. either totally new or renamed or previously
> maintained in some other module or external repository.
>
> > If it doesn't have what I was thinking of, I know Scrabulous (the
> > Facebook app) is extremely popular and I also know that WeBoggle
> > (http://weboggle.shackworks.com/) is also popular. A Scrabble clone
> > (Skrabble?) or a Boggle clone that can, optionally, hook into the
> > WeBoggle would be useful (it should also allow network play through GGZ).
>
> Please note that I didn't question the motivation itself, I actually like
> the idea of doing a game or game related functionality as a SoC project,
> but since I am subsribed to quite some KDE mailinglists I remembered
> reading about "fill in" on kde-edu [1]

I was throwing out other ideas while I was waiting for kdeedu to compile to
see if it had what I was thinking of already.

Fill-it-ins (as I know them) are not the fill-in-the-blank kind of thing. The
ones I am talking about look like crossword puzzles, but instead of getting
clues you get a list of words that go into the puzzle. You need to fit all of
the given words into the puzzle (first result:
http://www.bigopolis.com/BigOp/Fill-it-ins/xrisxros.html).

> > Plus, I
> > don't think many users get kdeedu since they think it's "only"
> > educational stuff.
>
> That depends on distribution packaging.

Ah. I'm using Fedora where there are separate kdeedu and kdegames packages.

> Anyway, speaking with my SoC mentor hat on., if you are going to apply with
> a SoC idea which sounds like it already exists in another KDE application,
> it will not help your SoC application.
> In case you think that it is not a duplication and cannot be added to the
> other program, you better have this reasoning clearly visible in the SoC
> application text.

I think it could be added KWordQuiz, but since the games I'm proposing
wouldn't necessarily help with learning the new vocabulary or use more than
just a word list, it should go into a word game program (sort of like
KPatience, only for words instead of cards) where it would load word lists
and make the puzzles from them. Maybe some logic is getting messed up in my
thinking, but whether it should belong to kdegames or kdeedu, I'd still lie
to help make some word games for KDE.

--Ben