[Kde-games-devel] ktank alpha 0.1 release

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Wed Mar 5 15:09:39 CET 2008

Am Mittwoch 05 März 2008 13:36:49 schrieb sacha:
> Ktank alpha 0.1 release, and be avaible on
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/games/ktank/ktankbattle/
>
> Currently, we can move a tank and launch a lot of bullets which can be
> bounce on the wall. This game use KGLEngine ( an opengl api games).
>  For more information, look at : http://ktank.free.fr/wordpress/
>
> For the next release :
> -KtankEditor : a map editor for ktank.  We think to use XML for map file.
>  Any other idea ?

I don't see any levels in SVN yet. XML in general is a good choice, especially
if you might want to add to the format in a compatible way. Preferably don't
name them *.xml though so a recognition becomes easier. And do not forget to
document the format of the levels. This makes it more likely that they can be
shared between games. Not sure if there's another tank game out there, but I
wrote one several years back using the 320x200 graphics mode and direct
manipulation of the video memory :)

> - Use KGGZ for network games  : I need help for this. I have contacted some
> person from #ggz irc.  If you want to help us, contact me.
> Is KGGZ api complete ? I think it will be easy to create network games for
> ktank. We need only to transfer position of tank and bullets.

Tonight I might look into it. I've got it installed now at least, compilation
went fine. What networking features are you looking for? I'm just the
implementation guy, you need to be the one who tells what's needed.

Some more hints to make the game less playground-y: Remove all svn:executable
properties from the source files, and keep a consistent naming of the image
files, e.g. all with a small initial letter (grass.jpg instead of Grass.jpg).
Copyright (c) 2008 Developer is also not quite correct :)

Josef