[Kde-games-devel] KFourInLine =>Quality Control

Martin Heni kde at heni-online.de
Sat Jul 26 09:21:02 CEST 2008

KWin4 had a serious bug in it which resulted in no sprite movement at all.
This was caused by a wrong call to a parent function which only showed up in a
later Qt version. Thus I didnt notice it. Fortunately, someone reported it as
bug. Unfortunately, as I didnt follow kde mails lately I only saw the a
repost of the bug a couple of days ago - just in time to prevent a completly
buggy game in KDE 4.1.  A lot of thanks here to the guy who didnt give up and
kept posting the bug report!!!

However, this brings me to my favorite issue which I keep posting about once a
year ;-). I think we need a better quality control and testing of the games.
If I follow the list the current aim seems to be to integrate as many as
possible new games into KDE. However, there is obviously little testing and
bugfixing going on, otherwise someone whould have fixed the kfourinline bug.
Of course, I admit that I myself dont do this either - it is cool to make a
new game and quite boring to test and bug fix. But I suppose we have to find
a way to implement such a procedure. Otherwise we will collect more and more
buggy games.

Especially as games will loose there active maintainer sooner or later we need
some shared responsibility in the group of active developers to test the
games of other authors and also bugfix them. Unfortunatly, I have no solution
to offer here. I am myself not a good example as I dont and cant spend much
time on bugfixing. (Actually, I would like to give over maintainership or
find a co-maintainer for my games to someone new - but so far nobody
volunteered).

Some possible solutions might be:
- Assign not only a maintainer but also a tester to each game. Maybe cross
assign them. Whoeever has a game in kde also must test another one.
- Find some volunteers which actually like testing and bug fixing.
- Make a qualtiy control board of some active people (really name them).
Before any KDE release they check the games. They then should keep pusing
maintainers or others to fix critical bugs.
- List bug fixers, testers and quality board people more prominently on the
Game infos and on the web page to improve the interest in these positions