[Kde-games-devel] Kubrick gets a background picture

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jul 8 02:06:12 CEST 2008

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 05:48:17 am Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Ian Wadham wrote:
> > <snip> re: Matthew Woehlke's 4-way color gradient background.
> >
> Yay! :-) I see it also uses that when it can't find the theme (which I
> failed to install properly at first). It might be a good idea to make
> 'k' not work when it can't find the svg instead of drawing a white
> background.

I will try and fix that today, for RC1.  K key is undocumented and will be
dropped later, in favour of proper theming, but white screen is bad ...

> > If there were lots of 2D stuff to draw, such as graphical game controls
> > and readouts, I would certainly mix 2D and 3D.  As it is, there is not
> > much code in either method, to just draw a rectangle, and there is
> > more code in loading graphics and fitting a texture.  So I may stay in
> > 3D for now.
>
> Heh, that trig bugs me :-).

Toughski titski ... :-)

It's only a tan() function and I use it elsewhere to calculate how to
fit the cubes into the view.  Must encapsulate that some time ... and
there is far tougher maths elsewhere in Kubrick ... ;-)

> Would you consider a patch to use 2D? (I
> have one working, including the necessary fiddling with the texture
> coordinates to make cropping work properly.)

Being a mathematician by training, though 50 years out of practice,
I tend to favour the generality of staying in one set of co-ordinates
that handles everything ... i.e. 3D, and there is only one rectangle to
draw in "2D".  So thanks, Matthew, for the offer of a patch, but not
this time around if it is all the same to you.  Thanks, too, for all the
insights you have given me into how OpenGL works.

All the best, Ian W.