[Kde-games-devel] New game in playground: KDiamond

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Mon Feb 11 22:29:15 CET 2008

Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> I have managed to shrink the todo list's size quite far, and that brings me to
> the question: What things remain to make KDiamond fit for the kdegames
> module? The following items come to my mind:
>
> * sounds (has to wait until someone makes sounds)

Sounds are cool, but not mandatory. For a new game however I think we
should push for getting sounds in from the start.

> * artwork (in process)
> * theming (i.e. actually support multiple themes through a configuration
> dialog; that is next on my todo list)

These should be in. I had a look at the code and you are already using
KGameTheme, so what is missing is probably some glue to popup a
KGameThemeSelector dialog, and a new theme to test.

> * handbook (can be done on one or two calm evenings)

Yup, needed. You may contact Eugene and follow the style and sections
used in the other games in the last rewrite (November 2007).

> Are there anything I have missed? And could it be realistic to get KDiamond
> into 4.1? As far as I know, that means that I need to be ready by mid-march,
> because of two weeks in kdereview and the feature freeze by the end of march.
> Of course, KDiamond will need more bug fixing and some performance
> improvements, but that is what a feature freeze is for.

I think it is mostly up to you, but it seems to be progressing fast, so
there is a chance it can get in. We will have to discuss it a little bit
more on the list, but I think most people liked it so far, so I do not
see huge issues. We do have a number of connect-thing games for sure,
but I think each one is unique and there is not a lot of overlap.

Also, I think this game really shows we are in the right direction
concerning the work in libkdegames so far. You managed to use all the
new APIs :) KGameDifficulty, KScoreDialog, KGameTheme, and also
KPixmapCache and QGV. And this apparently enabled you to get the basic
stuff going real quick, which is amazing. Can you comment on the issues
you found so far?

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini