[Kde-games-devel] Log of the irc discussion

Matt Williams matt at milliams.com
Sun Feb 3 19:51:28 CET 2008

On Sunday 03 February 2008 21:45:48 Dmitry Suzdalev wrote:
> On Sunday 03 February 2008 03:15:53 Ian Wadham wrote:
> >  As you know I was out at dinner with
> > Aaron Seigo, whom I have been waiting to meet for about 5
> > years.
>
> That's just great you've finally met :)
>
> > It is a 3-D Rubik's Cube game.  I will put it in playground, in
> > KDE3/Qt3/autotools form, as soon as I can.  Then I have to port
> > to KDE4/Qt4/CMake form and do whatever else I have time for in
> > the way of feature improvements.  I hope you will all like it!
>
> I remember when you showed it to me some time ago. It already was in a good
> shape. Nice game.
>
> > > [13:22] <dimsuz> ian's with as? ;)
> >
> >     if (as == "Aaron Seigo") say ("Yes"); // ... :-)
>
> Hihihi :)
>
> > > [13:22] <dimsuz> us
> >
> >     else say ("Er, no"); // See my apology  above ... :-(
> >         // I'm really sorry I missed you, Dmitry.
>
> Well, I hope we'll come to irc in the same time someday ;)
>
> > Depends on the game ... if you have just sweated through 20 levels of
> > KGoldrunner you might be *hoping* the high score dialog comes up ...
> > as you lose your last life ... ;-) ... I always am!
>
> Yes. I agree here. But I must note that if we'll have possibility to put
> this popup kind of "inside the scene" this would look more good imho.

For exactly this reason Mauricio is looking into experimenting with using WoC
for the KBlocks highscore table I believe. I'm also going to look into making
it easy to embed a KScoreDialog-like widget into the view.

> > Will WoC work on KGameCanvas?  Or is it another QGV-based thing?
>
> QGV one :)
>
> > > [13:34] <dimsuz> i think at first we'll need to analize what our games'
> > > highscore requirements are. i'll think about it
> >
> > Dmitry, please take into account the list of KGoldrunner highscore data
> > items.  Last time I looked, they would not all fit into the libkdegames
> > highscore format, so I stayed with home-grown for KDE 4.0.
>
> Yes. Another example of game with non-fitting scoring system is KAtomic.
> That is partly the reason why it still lacks implementation of some kind of
> highscore dialog (another part is that I still not developed a custom one
> ;) )
>
> That's what I tried to say: we (or the person working on this) should walk
> through all our games to see what highscore system they use. And only after
> this some common flexible implementation may come up.

Well, what exactly does the current highscore system not provide? If people
wouldn't mind detailing what exactly they require I'll do my best to
implement it.

Regards,
Matt Williams