[Kde-games-devel] kapman tiles

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Dec 9 01:27:39 CET 2008

Thomas Gallinari wrote:
> Le Tue, 09 Dec 2008 00:19:15 +0100, Matthew Woehlke
> <mw_triad at nospam> a écrit:
             ^^^^^^
Please don't do that, I get enough spam :-).

>> (Ick, any chance I could try again to talk y'all into kdelibs coding
>> style, or at least adding kate modelines everywhere? I hereby offer to
>> do the work if you'd be okay with such a change.)
>
> It seems to be a very important thing to you, so have fun...

Well, it makes this...

> I'm ok for patches but remember that we had problems last
> time, due to the code formatting. So, send us what we need to be able to
> apply the patch. :)

...much, much easier ;-). Is reformatting (astyle) okay, or do you
prefer modelines to keep the current style without kate wreaking havoc
on it?

>> Maybe I should just start writing a tile lib against something, maybe
>> Kapman, maybe KSame, and as a group (meaning, all kdegames hackers) we
>> can look at getting it into additional games.
>
> I am ok that you experiment your lib on Kapman, but be sure your work is
> done before commiting anything ! This will be a huge change !

True. But I intend to keep the ability to have whole-maze svg also.

Except... I found some generic theming problems that I will probably
want to tackle first. Namely that the theme doesn't control the size of
the sprites (so you can't have huge pills, for example).

Would you be okay breaking the themes into their own directories with
the following contents?

theme/background.svg # window background
theme/walls.svg # tiles
theme/maze<hash>.svg # single-svg mazes, like we have now
theme/maze-back.svg
theme/sprites.svg # everything else

(...also I am thinking about animation for the ghosts, but not sure if
I'm going to attempt anything just yet, or how I'd want to do it.)

All of the above will be named in the .desktop (so names aren't set in
stone), and of course can be .svg or .svgz.

The "window background" is like kpat/kubrick, it fills the whole window
and is cropped as needed. It's optional.

The maze background is used with the tiles, it is cropped to the aspect
ratio of the maze similar to the window background, and you can have
multiple sizes for different aspect ratios of maze (if we want to allow
that). It's also optional. The idea is to have a full-styled background
but still use tiles. I might change my mind about it, though, it's just
a thought and feel free to not like it ;-).

Oh, and the .desktop needs to specify colors for the background, score,
etc. :-)

--
Matthew
"Do you do windows as well?"