[Kde-games-devel] kdegames maintainer list update

Johannes Bergmeier joselb at gmx.de
Mon Dec 8 14:33:40 CET 2008

On Saturday 06 December 2008 03:46:40 Parker Coates wrote:
> Nice example diagram. Would it not be quite tricky to get the
> connectors to line of perfectly, especially with a complicated or
> detailed theme? I'm just picturing lots "of by a pixel" rendering
> issues that would be extra visible in this case. Is any other KDE game
> using this (or a similar) technique?
Another technique would be to create artwork for the corners. There are two
ways with different (dis-)advantages:
- Create 3 different pixmaps for each corner which look different depending on
whether their nearby edges are used for connection. Pro: only 3 different
pixmaps needed. Contra: 4 or 5 pixmaps needed and not that flexible.
- Create 15 different pixmaps for each corner depending the how on the 4 nearby
cells are connected. Pro: very flexible, used by KSudoku for highlights and
lines between the blocks (see Jigsaw puzzle for an good demonstration) Contra:
requires 15 pixmaps. Requires at least (n+1)*(m+1) sprites or at maximum 4
times as much, as all different tiles need their own connection.

In case of the blocks in KSudoku the second version was perfect, but I think
KSame would do better with the first one. Both have the advantage that there is
no gap if four tiles of the same type are connected at a corner.

Maybe this description is a bit difficult to understand, as I'm my terms for
describing graphics in English are a bit limited. But I hope it was useful
nevertheless.