[Kde-games-devel] Sound in kdegames?

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Mon Aug 18 14:08:32 CEST 2008

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> Let's get a proper solution into Phonon (I can help find the right people to
> talk to, perhaps) ...

I agree that not having to deal with this would be the best for kdegames
and all kde applications. But I am unsure that the Phonon design would
work for this requirement of preloading short sounds and playing them
with low latency, and I was under the impression that this was what was
communicated clearly during Akademy. So it wold be a technical issue,
related to how the backends are coupled, and the need to support maybe a
low common denominator in exchange for portability and simplicity of
usage for API clients.
To put it another light, we have been waiting for maybe 18 months in
order for Phonon to play short sounds correctly, not even considering
the preloading and mixing portions of it, and the low latency
requirement. This still does not work for any of us in simple games like
KTuberling, according to a poll we did during the kdegames meeting, no
matter which backend is used.
So it has come to a point where we either help get something moving in
Phonon (we had debug sessions btw), or attempt a different path. Notice
that this was only considered after some of us (Eugene lead the effort)
got a definitive "no, Phonon was not designed for this and will not
support this functionality in the foreseeable future" answer.

But if you can help revert this course, I am all for helping get this
right. What would you suggest, Aaron? What are the channels and people
we can use to get this rolling?

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini