[Kde-games-devel] Sound in kdegames?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Aug 18 12:40:41 CEST 2008

On Sunday 17 August 2008, Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> Ethan Anderson wrote:
> > If phonon isn't working right in some situation, file a bug against
> > it.  Phonon is the sound api to use in /all/ kde applications, games
> > or othewise, unless i'm seriously mistaken..
>
> You are mistaken, as Eugene has reported, but this is ok. The situation
> is still being evaluated, but it looks like we will need to roll our own
> sound api for games that need to mix sounds and have low latency. Phonon
> was never designed for this scenario, and we have tried to use it for a
> while without success.

Actually, I would agree with Eugene in this case. Playing lots of little
sounds in rapid succession (often the same sounds) is not actually something
limited to games and Phonon should be able to handle this. Having/using a
separate sound API just for games of the sort in kdegames is quite ludicrous:
it will almost certainly lead to difficulties down the line (portability, sound
card usage, etc), will make it harder for users to manage their sound on the
desktop and make it harder for others to contribute to kdegames.

I know some of you have spoken to mkretz about this, and I was told that he
said basically "come up with something" as he wasn't able to work further on
this specific issue. Was there anything more said on this?

Let's get a proper solution into Phonon (I can help find the right people to
talk to, perhaps) ...

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se