[Kde-games-devel] KDE Games Report from Akademy 2008

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Mon Aug 18 09:24:08 CEST 2008

On Sunday 17 August 2008 14:10:21 Richard Hartmann wrote:
> The online gaming stuff could be extended to allow arbitary data to be
> exchanged. Suddenly, you have a ready-made collaboration tool which
> could be used in several scenarios. And it even includes chat and basic
> access management!

Sounds interesting, but will certainly not happen for 4.2. Now that table
management works, one widget still missing is the chat widget. For that I plan
to use the one already in libkdegames, although as outlined before this should
be replaced by a more powerful and beautiful one. Maybe we could have an
interface approach similar to the hexeditor/texteditor interfaces in kdelibs.

> Maybe the chat part could piggyback onto an IRC, jabber or whatever
> module, as well?

Yes, there are already integration plans with Jabber and a prototype for a
server-side Jabber extension component has been developed in plain C++ using
the gloox library. But it would need volunteers to drive that forward faster
than I could do at the moment. If anybody is interested drop me a mail so I
can guide you into that topic :)

Josef