[Kde-games-devel] best class to use for drawing unmanaged graphics?

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Tue Apr 15 22:33:29 CEST 2008

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> How bad is the performance of filling a full-screen scene when all that
> consists of is painting several dozen pixmaps? Would I be better off
> using GL instead (I'm assuming that a full-screen repaint in GL is
> pretty painless?) and converting the pixmaps to textures? (This might be
> good as I'd get ultra-cheap resizing with GL's texture scaling, and
> could re-render the textures to the new "native" size in the background.)

Are you serious? How about machines where OpenGL is not available? Seems
like you are trying to solve a problem before knowing if it really
exists. See, almost all of the games are using QGV now, and Plasma as
well. Of course, QGV is not perfect, yet. But I would just use it and
help improve it if/when you (eventually) find it does not fit your needs.
The alternative is to use QPainter directly, which is of course ok. But
why do that if you only want to move some pictures around and manage the
scene updates, which is specifically the scenario QGV was developed for?

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini