[Kde-games-devel] best class to use for drawing unmanaged graphics?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 15 22:01:41 CEST 2008

Matt Williams wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 April 2008 20:05:11 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>>> A Dimarts 15 Abril 2008, Matthew Woehlke va escriure:
>>> If you want to do management yourself i think QPainter is the best way.
>> Is KGameCanvas "dead" then? Otherwise, where would I find information on
>> it?
>
> The second google hit for "KGameCanvas":
> http://myrizio.wordpress.com/2007/07/31/putting-kgamecanvas-to-sleep-forever/.
> Basically, QGraphicsView is 'good' now so there's no need for KGameCanvas.

Found that already, didn't tell me anything about what KGC is... just
that one person (well, I guess maybe more than one :-), but that's all I
knew at the time) thinks it is unneeded now.

I'd like to have something that will perform better when only a small
portion of the canvas needs to be redrawn, but QGV+QGS seems like a lot
of extra work and classes floating around to do that.

How bad is the performance of filling a full-screen scene when all that
consists of is painting several dozen pixmaps? Would I be better off
using GL instead (I'm assuming that a full-screen repaint in GL is
pretty painless?) and converting the pixmaps to textures? (This might be
good as I'd get ultra-cheap resizing with GL's texture scaling, and
could re-render the textures to the new "native" size in the background.)

--
Matthew
guilty and avoid enriching the lawyers. -- RFC 1925