[Kde-games-devel] Parsek imported into playground

Jure Repinc jlp at holodeck1.com
Sun Apr 6 12:38:51 CEST 2008

Hi all

A few minutes ago I imported Parsek into KDE SVN, into playground[1]. I
started working on Parsek back in December 2006, as a way to start learning Qt
and KDE programming. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to work on it since
then.

So a quick introduction to Parsek. It's a client for playing turn-based 4X[2]
strategy games which are created using Thousand Parsec[3] framework. The
games are set into Universe so they are mostly like an advanced version of
Konquest (although the rules can be cloned in a ruleset that is running on a
server).

For connecting to the server and communicating with it Parsek uses the
existing C++ library[4] for Thousand parsec. So a lot of work is already done
and what's mostly left is creating a nice looking and easy to use user
interface and everything else that is needed for it.

You can't yet play the games with the client. Currently you can use it to
connect to a game server, which downloads objects from the Universe and
displays them in a simple tree. It also downloads messages and displays them
in a simple table.

Hopefully I'll have more time to work on Parsek in the coming months. First
thing to do is to create a starmap (with a navigation bar, similar to the one
in Dolphin, if possible), make it possible to show and add orders to objects
and make the messages and Universe tree display nicer. Basically make it
possible to actually play games.

One of the plans for the more distant future also includes porting the client
to Qtopia, so that it will be possible to play from mobile phone and mobile
devices.

Anyways. I hope I did the import into SVN right and that there are not too
many newbie mistakes in the code or in CMake files. Any help and feedback is
much appreciated.

Links:
[1] http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/games/parsek/
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4X