[Kde-games-devel] Re : Re : Re : What to do for default theme for Kapman?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 3 00:31:22 CEST 2008

Thomas Gallinari wrote:
> I agree with PB. Moreover, I'd say that actually we disagree with Matthew  opinion about tile-based Kapman *emergency*...

I didn't say it's an "emergency". I said it can offer significant
benefits, and that the code is already usable.

> We don't want to make such  a huge improvement without knowing exactly its advantages, drawbacks,
and what it implies, so we have to think about it more quietly.

Advantages:
- Can support arbitrary mazes with any theme that has tiles.
- Less artist work for themes that are designed based on tiles anyway
(e.g. retro).

Disadvantages:
- All themes "should" have tiles (but if they don't, we have the same
situation as now: no custom maze support).
- A bunch more (maybe 3x) GraphicsItems. Although KGr seems to manage,
so I don't think this is a significant issue.

I'd be more worried about theming support, pixmap caches so that
animation is tolerable, etc... those are going to be MUCH larger
changes, I think.

--
Matthew
 > pinotree uses the large trout on tsdgeos and PutHuhn :)
 > PutHuhn runs
 > tsdgeos lights a fire and eats the trout
(with apologies to Pino Toscano, PutHuhn and Albert Astals Cid, who came
up with this entirely on their own)