[Kde-games-devel] untranslated strings in kdegames

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Sat Sep 29 10:55:04 CEST 2007

On Saturday 29 September 2007 02:18:18 Ian Wadham wrote:

> One thing I have never been clear on (not in about 5 years in KDE Games),
> is how much Scripty does automatically and how much translation is
> done automatically at run time in kdelibs or libkdegames, without explicit
> calls to i18n().  So it is "monkey see, monkey do" for me.  I just copy
> what others do and hope for the best.  I really do not like such a
> situation.

You can easily check, if l10n/i18n works for your application, just use the
language x-test, as I already described in this thread.

> I have spent *hours*, over the years, searching for doco on Scripty and
> the "language" used in ui.rc files, but I have been disappointed again
> today (using Search in TechBase).

Scripty lives in l10n-kde4/scripts. To know what Scripty does, just read
extract-messages.sh, a simple bash script.
Scripty's logs you find at ftp://i18n.kde.org/logs.

> Other games do not seem to have EXTRACTRC lines in their Messages.sh
> files and apparently do not need them: KJumpingCube for example.  What
> is the difference?  Why does KGoldrunner require that line and other games
> do not?
KGoldrunner has UI and XML GUI files? xgettext only extracts messages in
different i18n() calls, all details you find in extract-messages.sh.
From the man pages:
extractattr - extract element attributes from UI and XML GUI files
extractrc - extract message strings from UI and XML GUI files

Burkhard Lück