[Kde-games-devel] untranslated strings in kdegames

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Sat Sep 29 02:18:18 CEST 2007

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 11:59 pm, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Divendres 28 Setembre 2007, Ian Wadham va escriure:
> > These are menu names, defined in kgoldrunner/src/kgoldrunnerui.rc
> > <snip>
> > Should not translation be "automatic" in kdelibs somewhere?
>
> It's not completely automatic.
>
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdegames/kgoldrunner/Messages.sh?r1=664584&
>r2=717391
>
> Was the change i did to fix it.

Thanks very much, Albert ... :-)

One thing I have never been clear on (not in about 5 years in KDE Games),
is how much Scripty does automatically and how much translation is
done automatically at run time in kdelibs or libkdegames, without explicit
calls to i18n().  So it is "monkey see, monkey do" for me.  I just copy what
others do and hope for the best.  I really do not like such a situation.

I have spent *hours*, over the years, searching for doco on Scripty and
the "language" used in ui.rc files, but I have been disappointed again today
(using Search in TechBase).

Other games do not seem to have EXTRACTRC lines in their Messages.sh
files and apparently do not need them: KJumpingCube for example.  What
is the difference?  Why does KGoldrunner require that line and other games
do not?  Or maybe the other games do and they are also wrong?

Puzzled monkey, Ian W.