[Kde-games-devel] untranslated strings in kdegames

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat Sep 29 14:24:05 CEST 2007

A Dissabte 29 Setembre 2007, Ian Wadham va escriure:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 11:59 pm, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > A Divendres 28 Setembre 2007, Ian Wadham va escriure:
> > > These are menu names, defined in kgoldrunner/src/kgoldrunnerui.rc
> > > <snip>
> > > Should not translation be "automatic" in kdelibs somewhere?
> >
> > It's not completely automatic.
> >
> > http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdegames/kgoldrunner/Messages.sh?r1=66458
> >4& r2=717391
> >
> > Was the change i did to fix it.
>
> Thanks very much, Albert ... :-)
>
> One thing I have never been clear on (not in about 5 years in KDE Games),
> is how much Scripty does automatically and how much translation is
> done automatically at run time in kdelibs or libkdegames, without explicit
> calls to i18n().  So it is "monkey see, monkey do" for me.  I just copy
> what others do and hope for the best.  I really do not like such a
> situation.
>
> I have spent *hours*, over the years, searching for doco on Scripty and
> the "language" used in ui.rc files, but I have been disappointed again
> today (using Search in TechBase).
>
> Other games do not seem to have EXTRACTRC lines in their Messages.sh
> files and apparently do not need them: KJumpingCube for example.  What
> is the difference?  Why does KGoldrunner require that line and other games
> do not?  Or maybe the other games do and they are also wrong?

KGoldrunner requires the extractrc because Editor and Themes are strings not
known by the XmlGUI system, so they are not handled at a lower level.
Kjumpingcube instead only has Game that is probably handled at the
libkdegames level.

As Burkhard said the easiest way is installing the x-text language that only
adds xx at the beginning and end of each string. If any string has not xx is
that something is failing and you try to seek some advice :-)

Albert