[Kde-games-devel] untranslated strings in kdegames

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Sep 27 02:56:03 CEST 2007

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 07:57 am, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dimecres 26 Setembre 2007, Burkhard Lück va escriure:
> > kbackgammon:
> > Wrong capitalization in tooltips? ("End Turn", "Double Cube")
>
> Afair the english rules are start everything with caps :D Not sure though.

Thinking back to Miss Hallet's English Grammar class, many years ago,
and the ever-present threat of a ruler's edge descending on the knuckles,
here goes ... :D

Albert's sentence (with apologies, Albert) should read as follows:
    AFAIR the English rules are (to) start everything with caps :D not
    sure though.

Rules:
1. Capitalise the first word in a sentence (or other string).
2. Capitalise words that are names or titles of people or things,
    except that small "joining" words (aka "noise words" in text
    searching) are preferably *not* capitalised.
3. Capitalise all letters in an acronym or an abbreviation consisting
    of initial letters of words.

Examples:
1. Any English text, except poems by e e cummings and some others.
2. The language name "English", Ian Wadham, the Marquis de Sade,
    Gone with the Wind, Das Boot, Moving to Linux, Kiss the Blue Screen
    of Death Goodbye, A Book on C.
3. AFAIR, UNO, IIRC, CIA, KGB, IPCC, COBOL.

Strictly speaking then, "End Turn" and "Double Cube" *should* be
"End turn" and "Double cube", but there are no ruler's edges descending
in modern English-speaking schools, so "End Turn" and "Double Cube"
are acceptable, as would be "Gone With The Wind".  It is more a matter
of good manners now, IMHO.  If someone writes ian, it grates on me
just a little, and I don't think Kleag would like it much if I wrote Marquis
De Sade.  On the other hand, we now have such "monstrosities" as
"KSVGRenderer", "QGraphicsView", "dBase", "kde-games-devel at kde.org"
and "www.google.com".  Miss Hallet would be rolling in her grave.  But
languages evolve, Miss Hallet ...

You should not worry about "End Turn" and "Double Cube" .  If you do,
just take a look at the File menu of KMail ... "Save As..." and "Check Mail"
indeed! ... :-( :-/ ... I hear Miss Hallet's ruler whistling through the air!

All the best, Ian W.

P.S. You can call me ian if, like Archy in the book "Archy and Mehitabel",
you are a cockroach or are otherwise unable to operate the Shift key. :-)