[Kde-games-devel] SVG Rendering speed

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Sep 26 23:12:27 CEST 2007

On 26.09.07 23:05:10, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dimecres 19 Setembre 2007, Andreas Pakulat va escriure:
> > Hi,
> >
> > as I pointed out in my blog
> > (http://apaku.wordpress.com/2007/09/18/kde4-games/)
> > kde4 games take a while to start or to change window-size. Testing with
> > kpat and its "random cards" feature it really seems like rendering the
> > SVG is the problem. When it chooses a deck with relatively small cards
> > the update is faster than with the default deck or any other
> > larger-card-deck. Its still rather slow on my machine though.
> >
> > I'm using a nearly 4 year old laptop, with  a 1.4GHz Centrino and 1GB
> > Ram. It has a built-in ATI Radeon MObility 9200 using the free radeon
> > driver. I'm running a dual-head setup with X11's Xinerama (_not_ the
> > MergedFB Option from radeon) and thus things like composite and even
> > XRender don't work. Don't know if any of that is related or not, as I
> > really have no idea how the Qt Svg Renderer works.
> >
> > I'll see if I can get a valgrind profile from kpat tomorrow.
>
> Changing from free radeon driver to fglrx driver makes kmahjongg go to
> unusable to ok here. So maybe it's both a conjunction of kmahjongg not beign
> too optimized and the free radeon driver sucking?

As I already stated elsewhere in these threads I don't have a problem
playing any of the games, its really just re-rendering when the size of
the window changes. This even works quite well as long as the window is
small. For example ksudoku (btw, I love this one, so nice to have it in
kde4) starts up pretty small and dragging it larger it resizes rather
fast for the first few dozen pixels. Only when it reaches a certain size
the re-rendering of the board gets slower and slower.

So I'm not sure wether this particular problem I have is really related
to the driver, as the re-rendering shouldn't have any more drawing
overhead than a simple window - at least not on the radeon-driver
level..

Andreas

PS: The initial layout in kbattleship is completely broken, it starts up
in a small window and it seems all gui elements of the board are layered
on top of each other.

--
It was all so different before everything changed.