[Kde-games-devel] KGolf bug with moving objects

mezz dbdkmezz at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 14:10:27 CEST 2007

Hi,

I think that many of those bugs are caused by problems with resizing the game
when making it full screen. It looks like c, e and f are due to floaters not
resizing properly, and the problem of disappearing putters also seems unique
to when the game is resized. I should be able to fix these.

a is cause by the bug that collisions with walls a broken (and have been ever
since I've known the game). I've been looking into this a lot recently and
have decided to completely rework the wall collision code. So don't worry
about current wall problems, since there are big changes on the way here.

As for performance issues, I'm very worried about them, they seem to be
related to when floaters a pushing things around, hard 13 was almost
unplayable on my old PC (and that was not a slow system, it should have been
able to handle this kind of game with no problems). I have looked into it but
have so far been unable to find the cause. When I was looking there was a lot
of talk about Qt 4's graphics being slow when lots of things were moving
around, so I ended up blaming it on that. I expect it is partly due to a
change in moving from Qt 3 to Qt 4, but really there is very little going on
so I would be very surprised if a fix to kolf's code would not fix it. If
anyone with experience with Qt4 performance wants to give me some pointers
about what to look out for, or wants to have a look in the code for
themselves then I'd be very grateful :)

Could you explain a little more about what happened with problem b so that I
can reproduce it? I'm not quite sure what you mean.

As for moving into playground, I'm not sure. I'd like to suggest keeping it
out of playground and then putting it into playground just before the end of
KDE 4's development if it still isn't good enough then. But I'm not really in
a position to make an objective decision, since I really want the game to go
out! (Assuming I do manage to get it good enough in time, I don't want it to
be dragging the KDE Games package down).

Thanks for the email. many of these bugs are news to me. Hopefully soon I'll
be able to send out an email to say I've fixed some of them :)

Paul