[Kde-games-devel] GGZ / KDE games multiplayer

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Tue May 22 07:37:52 CEST 2007

Привет Дима,

On Monday 21 May 2007 10:56:32 Dmitry Suzdalev wrote:
> Yes, in 'some way'. But it still lacks full GGZ support (read: not
> playable through GGZ).

No longer true as of today :)
It has now changed from "needs-GGZ-implementation" status
to "should-work-and-bugs-should-be-reported" status (except for UI things).
I've successfully won a game last night against the default server AI.
Where you could definitely help is to change the KReversi AI into a static
library with Qt-only dependencies. We could then offer it as a 2nd AI choice
on the server.

> Currently, I'm experiencing some (yet unidentified) hardware related
> problem with my home computer (it refuses to boot at all for some
> reason), so I may react slowly to email (only when I'm not very busy
> at work) and not so fast with developing apps (again because I now
> limited with one computer).

Hope it can be resurrected soon!

> Josef, you've done some work with KReversi, IIRC it currently can
> connect and send some data to GGZ server?
>
> I've read your nice developer's tutorials, and is there one on setting
> up GGZ on user side? I mean which packages (or svn checkouts) KDE4
> user needs to have for GGZ to work?

There are no compile-time dependencies, only run-time tools are needed.
On Debian, it's "apt-get install ggz", followed by launching "ggz". Change to
the Reversi room, and it'll offer you some clients. Then run "make install"
in the KReversi dir and it should offer you an additional client. Make sure
to run the "ggz" command in the environment which has all the KDE4 paths set
up.

Josef