[Kde-games-devel] ksudoku's move to kdereview

Johannes Bergmeier Johannes.Bergmeier at gmx.net
Mon May 7 00:37:00 CEST 2007

On Sunday 06 May 2007, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dissabte 05 Maig 2007, Johannes Bergmeier va escriure:
> > on thursday i moved ksudoku from playground to kdereview.
> >
> > ksudoku is a sudoku game, which provides a puzzle generator and solver and
> > support for different variants of sudoku (like roxdoku, samurai and
> > jigsaw). it was invited to be part of kdegames and is now allmost
> > completely ported to KDE4.
> >
> > if you have suggestions on what parts needs to be improved or where our
> > team did mistakes i would love to receive comments.
> >
> > Josel
>
> My comments, please DO NOT take them as negative, it's just the things i
tried
> and did not make sense to me.
no i don't take them as negative. i worked that much on ksudoku that i
wouldn't have recognize the half of this myself.

>  * Each time i am in the start game widget i try to start a game double
> clicking the type of game and i get nothing :D
ok, this could be added (this game list is new, so there might be some other
things to improve, despite the style which is allready on my TODO list,
thanks to johann_ol's mockup)
>  * Configure in start game is "Not implemented yet", a program in kdereview
is
> supposed to be finished, so either implement that ASAP or remove the
> option ;-)
yes, this is caused by using the new list, those option-dialogs were there,
but need to be cleaned up and tehn reenabled
>  * Same for Get New
is there a sample of how to use knewstuff2? (the Get New is still based on the
old one, which dosen't work)
>  * Does "Play empty" has any usefulness besides beign cool?
yes, it is for those, who want to solve puzzles from a magazine or so. they
can enter it, then select "Move > Check" to start it as a normal game
>  * Settings -> Configure ksudoku does nothing
yes i'm working on this. and in my checkout it is allready in use
>  * I'm not sure the "Web" menu is allowed within KDE
i want to remove this, too. but have to ask Francesco if i'm allowed to do
this (after all, i'm still not the maintainer, only the person who does must
of the code)
>  * I can't see "Show tracker doing anything", is it working and i can't see
> the difference?
that seems to be a new bug (now on my list)
>  * same for "Mouse only superscript mode"
this works as expected, however i think nobody (including me) knows,
what "Mouse only superscript mode" means, this is an ancient setting which
needs to be renamed or removed. it enables (or better disables if unset) the
markers (right click, or alt+number/letter)
>  * There is Move->Undo and Edit->Undo !!!
another bug, i didn't recognize :(
>  * Give Hint just "fills" the item, i'd prefer a blinking number so that i
> could see which one i was hinted.
ah good idea, but a little bit more difficult (there is no framework for
animation yet)
>  * My status bar says "Selected item LITTLESQUARE" what's LITTLESQUARE?
another bug, which should be solved, when i check in my current code (a
missing default)
>  * Don't like all the numbers on the toolbar
that toolbar is expected to be on the left (don't know why it isn't at
default, and i want to give it more funtionality (another thing i'm working
on now). and that toolbar is what makes this sudoku implementation superior
to other desktop-sudokus.
>  * Why does the "Numbers" menu don't actually have any numbers?
i want to remove it (forgot it), or replace it by a duplicate of the toolbar
>  * Play a "normal game" and then Numbers->m and ksudoku crashes
another bug which should be fixed by current changes
>  * Settings -> Toolbars show two empty rows, please give your toolbars a
> name :-)
another thing on the TODO list
>  * File -> Export does not work
needs to be ported (either Mick ports it in the next week, or it gets removed)
>  * File -> Print does not work
same es for print
>  * File -> Save does not seem to be saving
a fixed but not yet commited bug
>  * Could not test File -> Open as could not get a game to be saved
this works
>  * Could not get a way to test Move -> Check and Move Push/Pop they are
always
> disabled.
Move -> Push/Pop: hmm this should have gone a half year ago :(
Move -> Check: as mentioned above: it works (but maybe it needs to be
renamed/moved to another place)
>  * Could you make the "Guided mode" only mark in red the ones that are wrong
> given the current board?
This is what i want to do, but not for KDE4.0, as it requires a complete
rewrite of the underlying engine (i allready did this rewrite, but it is not
good enough, so i need to rewrite the rewrite ;)

> All in all i have the impression the game still needs some polish, i would
> want your opinion on how much time you think would be needed to fix most/all
> of these issues.
as metioned above, some of this are allready fixed, but not yet commited.
others are underway (and will be in place tomorow or tuesday). and some older
bugs needs to be fixed afterwards. I only don't know how long print/export
and knewstuff2 implementation will take.

if you ask yourself why i'm working on that much without a commit in between:
the allready fixed bugs together only took less than half an hour which i did
between the other things i'm currently working on. and the "other things" is
a almost complete rewrite of the number/letter/symbols GUI (which i'm working
on since thursday and which is more than half done)

thanks for those bugreports / ideas. i'll try to solve them all within the
next week. if you or anybody else has an idea how to rename those buttons/men
entries which are difficult to understand i would be pleased.

Josel

--
Johannes Bergmeier
Johannes.Bergmeier at gmx.net