[Kde-games-devel] KMahjongg tile matching "bug"

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Sun Jul 29 17:46:50 CEST 2007

Matt Williams wrote:
> As can be seen from the attached screenshot there is a "bug" in the matching
> logic in KMahjongg. It only seems to affect the floral tiles (i.e. not the
> bamboo-numbered, dot-numbered or others).
>
> The "bug" is that SEASON_1 will match up with SEASON_2, SEASON_3 and SEASON_4
> but not another SEASON_1. I think it's the same with FLOWER_1,2,3,4.
>
> This is the same as it is in KDE3 so I'm not quite sure it's a bug as such
> though it does seem strange that for most of the tiles you match a '2' to
> another '2' and a '4' to another '4' but for the SEASON_ and FLOWER_ tiles
> it's the opposite.
>
> If this is the correct rules then I think it needs to be mentioned somewhere.

These are the correct rules, I guess a rewrite of the docs are badly
needed, and should cover this particularity of the flowers and season
tiles. On a typical game there is only one set of each, and they can be
matched freely. Notice that on extended games (more than 144 tiles) it
is possible to have two flower_1 for example. I just tested and it seems
to be working correctly, I could match one flower_1 to another flower_1
and remove them (see the screenshot.) I will do a deeper evaluation of
this before the release to make sure everything is right, but the
matching rules have not changed substantially since the KDE3 version.

> On a side note, there are two things that need to be sorted for KDE4: the
> white dragon tile is blank in the new tile-set and the 'show removed tiles'
> option does nothing.

Yes, I need to reimplement show removed tiles or remove this option,
this should happen during the beta phase. I was actually wondering how
many months would pass before someone spotted this, as it has been
disabled since October/2006 :)
As for the while dragon, there are some sets where it is indeed a blank
tile, and this is the variation picked by Raquel Ravanini when she
authored the default tileset. I guess it is OK for people to produce
other variations. But as a general rule I would not modify themes
directly without consulting a bit with the author to clarify hir/her
intentions. Artists can be very sensitive to even small modifications on
their work :), so generally I would communicate with the author before
doing the modification, or include the modified versions as anmoother
themes, ready to be applied by the user, specially now that we have
theme selection working.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini