[Kde-games-devel] Color-blind themes

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Sun Feb 18 03:54:27 CET 2007

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007, Martin Heni wrote:

> Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 10:15:53 +0100
> From: Martin Heni <martin at heni-online.de>
> To: KDE games development <kde-games-devel at kde.org>
> Subject: [Kde-games-devel] Color-blind themes
>
> When reading on the list that most kde games start to support themes I
> had the idea whether we should think about introducing color-blind (or
> similar) themes into the games. This might be a nice addition to KDE.

Excellent point. Seperate accessibility themes may be necessary but as a
general rule it would be so much better if themes could try to make use of
both colour and texture or pattern so that the default themes are more
user friendly out of box.  The extra affordance provided by textures
benefits _all_ users as is almost always the case with accessibility
features.  Hopefully this will serve not as a burden but as another
opportunity for artists to show off their creative flair by adding subtle
details to their artwork.

(If you ever played Puzzle Bobble you might notice that each bubble
contains a creature making them somewhat distinguishable by texture.
Frozen bubble unfortunately did not include bubbles with patterns but
Monkey bubble* did include ptterns in their default theme.)

--
Alan

Monkey bubble
http://home.gna.org/monkeybubble/screenshots.html