[Kde-games-devel] KMines SVG

Mark A. Taff marktaff at comcast.net
Mon Feb 12 22:47:22 CET 2007

On Monday 12 February 2007 01:19:44 Johann Ollivier Lapeyre wrote:
> Nice looking.

Thanks.

> Small comments (i'm at work a my coffee break):
> - the cube could be rounded (like the katomic's wall ). This could be later

I thought about that as well, but decided to keep it square, for purely
personal asthetic reasons.  If the corners were slightly rounded in the
future, I don't think it would be any big deal.

> - the defaut one is nice looking. I've an issue with the other too, the 2
> colors doesn't fit well together, and i don't think they follow the
> oxygen's color palette.

I changed the text "default" to "traditional", which was more what I meant.  I
would rather the blue minefield with the beige or silver background be the
default for this theme, with the others either as variations, or set manually
in a color dialog/css sheet/however it gets implemented.

I oxygen-ified the colors.  The only one that isn't in the oxygen palette is
the beige--oxygen gives short shrift to browns.  How do you create a palette
without biege??? ;-(  I could create the proper beige using only the oxygen
colors, through torturous use of colored gradients and transparency (can you
say "ugly hack").  Also, I like my blue better than the closest oxygen
equivelent.

IMO, I think we should use the oxygen colors as much as possible, but should
allow ourselves the license to deviate from them when an oxygen color just
doesn't do the trick.  I submit that my use of beige, and maybe the blue, is
one of these cases. ;-)

> - I never talked about that, but it could be fine to have (to improve
> usabillity and harmony), an common "action" color between games (at least,
> as much as possible). I putted already a nice green on katomic's arrow,
> knetwalk's turn-left-arrow, and kwin4 will have too. Maybe the square
> should be with this green, and surrounded with grey or blue. Could you test
> that?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.  I made green squares for the
minefield--it works, but it leans to the ugly side of the tracks, imo.

Do you mean a green border in the "cubes" style?

> I will work on multi-segment displays in a separate file.
>

> I'm not sure about multi-segment, it 's looking "dated" / "old fashion"

They have certainly been around for a long time, though they are still being
used in *new* devices. Every digital watch, timer, digital alarm clock.
Pinball machines. Most VCR/DVD/stereos. Many telephones.

I am also planning to do an LCD monochrome grid display, say 10px x 15px per
character?  This is the type of display my brand-new telephone has.

While using these may not be right tfor any particular application, having the
artwork available give the developer the choice.

Regards,

Mark