[Kde-games-devel] SVGization

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Thu Feb 8 13:54:34 CET 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Johann Ollivier Lapeyre wrote:

> Yes indeed! :-)  And thanks very much for your work on KGoldrunner.
> > I like your steely-looking ladders and bars.  The ladders look
> > particularly
> > nice on Initiation, level 93, "Are you spider or fly?", which resembles a
> > spider's web.

> i used  this one to test. ;)
>
> This may be heresy, but I have been playing with the idea of using actual
> > photos as wallpapers or backdrops for KGr: things that have a fairly even
> > and subdued colour balance and not much perspective, such as a rain
> > forest, cliff face. waterfall, cloudscape or astronomy picture.  Any
> > thoughts?
> > Such things scale very well from .png files.
>

> If you look Eugene T's work (
> http://www.kde-look.org/usermanager/search.php?username=its ), some of his
> SVG background are like picture, see that:
> - http://www.kde-look.org/content/pre1/44057-1.png
> - http://www.kde-look.org/content/pre1/42470-1.jpg
> - http://www.kde-look.org/content/pre1/42309-1.png

Wow those are impressive.

> In fact, this is what i had in mind ;) And i like his work, and i will never
> have the time to do stuffs like that (But with wallpaper in the same topic
> of the game if possible). Of course, we talked about that with him.
> Yesterday, we did some test on the qt4 SVG renderer to see what is possible
> to use.
>
> Real pictures could be good to (from an art point of view), but it could be
> hard to buy nice photo without licence issues with GPL, and i fear the
> scaling result.

I always figured distributions should be using the same resources for both
game textures and wallpapers as well as desktop wallpapers and even
graphics programs.

With a little bit of care to keep board areas to a 3:2 ratio these
wallpapers could be reused at least as placeholders, and in due course
game backgrounds could be reused as desktop wallpapers.  (For games like
tetris with a potrait layout the game backgrounds might still be reusable
for PDAs or other palmtop devices.)  I've long wished the proportions of
KBounce were just a little diffent so that a standard wallpaper would fit
nicely without distortion.

Just something to ponder as you rearrange the backgrounds.

--
Alan