[Kde-games-devel] SVGization

Johann Ollivier Lapeyre johann.ollivierlapeyre at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 10:03:59 CET 2007

Yes indeed! :-)  And thanks very much for your work on KGoldrunner.
> I like your steely-looking ladders and bars.  The ladders look
> particularly
> nice on Initiation, level 93, "Are you spider or fly?", which resembles a
> spider's web.

i used  this one to test. ;)

This may be heresy, but I have been playing with the idea of using actual
> photos as wallpapers or backdrops for KGr: things that have a fairly even
> and subdued colour balance and not much perspective, such as a rain
> forest, cliff face. waterfall, cloudscape or astronomy picture.  Any
> thoughts?
> Such things scale very well from .png files.

If you look Eugene T's work (
http://www.kde-look.org/usermanager/search.php?username=its ), some of his
SVG background are like picture, see that:
- http://www.kde-look.org/content/pre1/44057-1.png
- http://www.kde-look.org/content/pre1/42470-1.jpg
- http://www.kde-look.org/content/pre1/42309-1.png

In fact, this is what i had in mind ;) And i like his work, and i will never
have the time to do stuffs like that (But with wallpaper in the same topic
of the game if possible). Of course, we talked about that with him.
Yesterday, we did some test on the qt4 SVG renderer to see what is possible
to use.

Real pictures could be good to (from an art point of view), but it could be
hard to buy nice photo without licence issues with GPL, and i fear the
scaling result.

Sounds great ... :-)  Could we fit Konqui and the knights inside
> there Mauricio?

I don't know about konqui, he looks like a little bit old. Or refresh it
like freebsd did ( http://www.freebsd.org/  )

Would you like me to code up something that would make it easy for you
> to add a new SVG file without having to change any KGr programs?

As i see, the missing part in the SVG file is the runner (and bad guy),
isn't it?

Also I have a quick half-done mod that makes KGr scalable in steps of
> 1 pixel per grid-cell, rather than the present 4-pixel steps.  That causes
>
> jumps of just a few millimetres in the size of the play-area.  Should I
> finish that and commit it or are we looking for even smoother scaling,
> such as 1 pixel steps for the whole play-area?

do the best, you choose ;)

Johann, I sent Mauricio some notes, a kind of mini-spec, re KGr
> graphics, which you might find helpful.  Would you like a copy?

yes please