[Kde-games-devel] [Patch] Fix QPainter usage

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 13:48:02 CET 2007

Il Thursday 27 December 2007 13:26:56 Ian Wadham ha scritto:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:16 pm, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> > Well, I hope there are no new surprises. I'd like to try to render to
> > pixmaps directly (isntead on QImages), since it should be possible to do
> > so wit Qt4, and it should use the hardware acceleration for rendering
> > operations. I hope such a change will not disrupt the Windows port again.
>
> I am sure there were some reasons we did NOT render to QPixmaps
> directly, to do with handling alpha (extensively used in our SVG
> graphics) and to do with speed and fidelity of rendering (hence
> use of QImage::Format_ARGB32_Premultiplied).

I was thinking there may be a reason... fidelity may be the reason.
But I thought cards in kpat were rendered on pixmaps directly...

Anyway, it should be not too hard to try out, and if there are really problems
we can drop the optimization. I know painting on QPixmaps can have issues,
I've found a few problems with that with the B2 decoration -- at the end i
had to render to a QIMage. But I think that exposes a bug in either Qt or the
X11 driver.

If there are really speed improvements with going to the QPixmap route (I'm
not yet sure) an option could be offered to the user to switch it on.

Luciano