[Kde-games-devel] Ressurecting a game

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Dec 20 07:40:36 CET 2007

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 03:36 pm, George Goldberg wrote:
> So, the big question, there are many games in 4/unmaintained, but
> which one would you reccomend for me to work with? I don't want to
> waste time on something that has been replaced by another game now,
> and also, since I am stuck behind quite an aggressive firewall most of
> the time, I can only really work on one which is all/mainly offline
> gameplay.

Except for the network consideration, I would recommend KBackgammon.
You do not need to work on the network interface initially, but it must
at least be kept alive.  Somebody was working on KBackgammon for KDE 4,
so look in 4/unmaintained logs and code to find out who he was and get in
touch with him, in case he wishes to return.

BTW where *IS* 4/unmaintained?  I cannot find it.

KBg may be a bit big for a starter exercise, in which case I would recommend
a smaller game, such as KSnake, KTron, Kenolaba or KAsteroids, all of which
are alive and well in KDE 3, so you can see which one interests you.

Artwork, however crude, *must* be in SVG (use Inkscape graphics package)
and should ideally be themeable.  Look in other KDE 4 games for examples of
how this is done.  One of our artists will no doubt be able to help improve
the graphics, after you have implemented code support for SVG and themes.

AFAIK Klickety will eventually be replaced by KSame, using alternate board
layouts and numbers of colors.  KSirtet will be replaced by KBlocks.

Other members of the KDE Games group have expressed an interest in
reviving KSokoban and KPoker in KDE 4.1, but there may be an opportunity
for you to join a team.

All the best, Ian W.