[Kde-games-devel] A problematic translation

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 15:20:55 CET 2007

Il Friday 14 December 2007 15:13:02 Josef Spillner ha scritto:
> Am Freitag 14 Dezember 2007 15:03:11 schrieb Burkhard Lehner:
> > "The game of Chess" => "Das Schach-Spiel"
> > "Let's play a game of chess!" => "Lass uns eine Partie Schach spielen!"
>
> For some games, the word "match" could be used in English to disambiguate
> and thus help the translators. But it would be nice to hear some natives'
> opinions on that :)
> If match and game are not substitutable, then i18n context comments might
> still help.

Yes, partita means "match", however it is more general, I think. Match is used
when multiple players are involved, right? And it probably would not be used
for card games.

I see German and French have the same problem as Italian. So I say let's add
context comments for the ambiguous cases (IE when the word appears alone) for
next version...