[Kde-games-devel] kgoldrunner ported to KScoreDialog

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Thu Aug 9 15:54:01 CEST 2007

Ian Wadham wrote:
> AND, the real killer, I have lost all of my existing high score data (see
> attached) and all of the "seed" highscore data, in the gamedata/ dir, which
> are real highscores, intended as a challenge to new players.
>
> I don't expect KScoreDialog to be able to import arbitrary formats, but
> I *would* like to be able to port KGr highscore data between KDE versions,
> say as a new feature in KDE 4.1.  Is the KScoreDialog data format a) public?
> and b) guaranteed stable between KDE versions?
>
>> I'll commit the changes soon; for now, I'm not going to remove the old code
>> from the game; it can still be used by undefining the USE_KSCOREDIALOG
>> macro in kgrgame.cpp
>>
> Thanks for preserving that, Luciano.  If nobody minds, I think I will go back
> to the old code and sit out this dance until KScoredialog is a bit more mature
> and stable ...  Besides, we have a string freeze coming up soon and there is
> lots to do in KGr's dialogs, UI, doco, hints and messages.

Of course, the maintainer always has the final decision regarding these
things. I understand the need for consistency, but imo it should not be
imposed into any game if the author really feels something does not fit
well into his/her design.
In the case of KGoldrunner, I think it is a pity to miss this
opportunity (KDE 3->KDE 4) for the migration, as this is probably the
best time ever to do an incompatible change the causes older highscores
to be lost. But I understand and respect your desire to keep them.
If I can give you only one suggestion, is to get rid of the prompt
saying that the user MUST enter a name when a game is finished. I do not
care much about keeping highscores and I am usually the only one using
my machine, so this is something that frustrates me a lot... Is it
possible to let the highscore be entered with an empty name?

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini