[Kde-games-devel] KReversi opening play rules

Dennis P dennis_p at quicknet.nl
Wed Sep 20 18:23:39 CEST 2006

Op woensdag 20 september 2006 16:31, schreef Mauricio Piacentini:
> Customizing the opening play sounds like a good suggestion to me.
> However, it can make the start of the game a little more cumbersome
> (different sequence of actions), so this needs to be explained to
> beginners,

Yes, you are right. I already wrote the statusbar messages for two human
players, one line per turn:

	Player one position your two chips

	Player two position your two chips

	Now player one starts playing

	Try to conquer all your opponents chips

	Or conquer most positions on the board

	Don't be too greedy in the beginning

And human vs computer:

H	Position two chips before you start

C	Computer chooses randomly

H	Try to conquer all your opponents chips

C	Try to conquer all your opponents chips

H	Or conquer most positions on the board

C	Or conquer most positions on the board

H	Don't be too greedy in the beginning

C	Don't be too greedy in the beginning

H	Beware of who gets the corners

Notice that the turn of the computer can pass quickly so the text is either
repeated during the human's turn or not that significant. I'm not sure you
want to tell about the strategic potential of the corners as it can be quite
joyful when you figure it out before the other, but against the computer it
may be frustrating the play when you have not figured it out yet.

'Player one' and 'player two' can be replaced with player names if supported
of course.

> or maybe used as a game option in the advanced levels. Dmitry
> is probably the one that can comment on it. He is on vacation this week.

Ah

> BTW, this feedback is probably originated from my blog post about the
> KReversi rewrite

Indeed, I read that.

Thanks for your time,
Dennis Pennekamp