[Kde-games-devel] I want to help

Paul Broadbent dbdkmezz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 00:23:34 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 20:33, Dmitry Suzdalev wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 October 2006 21:14, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > You just volunteered to port Kolf from QCanvas to QGraphicsView ;-)
> > (AFAIK noone is doing it and it would be good to do it)
> >
> > Do not hesitate to ask about any problem you have in the porting process.
> >
> > And remember to port all that QPoint and such to QPointF.
>
> By the way, I tried to port kolf to QGV and I found this to be not very
> simple. Mostly because such porting will involve not-very-trivial code
> reorganisation. But if you, Paul, really like kolf and will enjoy working
> on it, that won't be a problem for you ;).
>
> I remember that the major issue was that many of kolf's QCanvasItem
> subclasses reimplement QCanvasItem::move() function which was virtual in
> Qt3. In Qt4 it is replaced by QGraphicsView::setPos() which is not virtual
> and hence can't be safely reimplemented in subclasses. And this introduces
> drawbacks that need some redesign desicion.
>
> I stopped at this part :-).
>
> So, Paul, If you really decide to help to port Kolf, take this into account
> while studying classes and codebase, maybe this will help you to find
> solution.

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to get a real thorough understanding of Kolf
before attempting the port, and will be ready to do a significant amount of
work. Kolf as it stands has quite a few bugs (eg balls going through walls
and ending up on top of each other and then behaving strangely in
multi-player), so it could probably do with quite a bit of work.