[Kde-games-devel] I want to help (sorry, for double post, ignore last one!)

Paul Broadbent dbdkmezz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 00:29:30 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 20:33, Dmitry Suzdalev wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 October 2006 21:14, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > You just volunteered to port Kolf from QCanvas to QGraphicsView ;-)
> > (AFAIK noone is doing it and it would be good to do it)
> >
> > Do not hesitate to ask about any problem you have in the porting process.
> >
> > And remember to port all that QPoint and such to QPointF.
>
> By the way, I tried to port kolf to QGV and I found this to be not very
> simple. Mostly because such porting will involve not-very-trivial code
> reorganisation. But if you, Paul, really like kolf and will enjoy working
> on it, that won't be a problem for you ;).
>
> I remember that the major issue was that many of kolf's QCanvasItem
> subclasses reimplement QCanvasItem::move() function which was virtual in
> Qt3. In Qt4 it is replaced by QGraphicsView::setPos() which is not virtual
> and hence can't be safely reimplemented in subclasses. And this introduces
> drawbacks that need some redesign desicion.
>
> I stopped at this part :-).
>
> So, Paul, If you really decide to help to port Kolf, take this into account
> while studying classes and codebase, maybe this will help you to find
> solution.

Sorry, just pressed some send shortcut in kmail I'd never seen before and sent
off an incomplete message! So sorry for double posting.

Thanks for the warning, I'll be sure to get a real thorough understanding of
Kolf before attempting the port, and will be ready to do a significant amount
of work. Kolf as it stands has quite a few bugs (eg balls going through walls
and ending up on top of each other and then behaving strangely in
multi-player), so it could probably do with quite a bit of work anyway.

But since I love the game, I think I'll really enjoy the project. And its
lways good to have a bit of challenge.

Thanks for the info Dmitry and Albert, and I'm sure you'll all hear from me
soon when I get completely stuck! :)

Paul