[Kde-games-devel] I want to help

Dmitry Suzdalev dimsuz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 21:33:55 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 21:14, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> You just volunteered to port Kolf from QCanvas to QGraphicsView ;-) (AFAIK
> noone is doing it and it would be good to do it)
>
> Do not hesitate to ask about any problem you have in the porting process.
>
> And remember to port all that QPoint and such to QPointF.
By the way, I tried to port kolf to QGV and I found this to be not very
simple. Mostly because such porting will involve not-very-trivial code
reorganisation. But if you, Paul, really like kolf and will enjoy working on
it, that won't be a problem for you ;).

I remember that the major issue was that many of kolf's QCanvasItem subclasses
reimplement QCanvasItem::move() function which was virtual in Qt3.
In Qt4 it is replaced by QGraphicsView::setPos() which is not virtual and
hence can't be safely reimplemented in subclasses. And this introduces
drawbacks that need some redesign desicion.

I stopped at this part :-).

So, Paul, If you really decide to help to port Kolf, take this into account
while studying classes and codebase, maybe this will help you to find
solution.

If you find any difficulties or misunderstand something ask here or on
#kdegames at freenode and we all will do our best to help you.

Welcome abroad! :-)

Cheers,
Dmitry.