[Kde-games-devel] Help wanted: 2D ISO (Fallout-like) engine searching for Qt4 map editor developer

Martin Vohland mvBarracuda at web.de
Thu Oct 19 21:49:19 CEST 2006

Team name:
FIFE developing team.

Project name:
FIFE - Flexible Isometric Fallout(-like) Engine.

Brief description:
Just like the name of our project suggests we work on a new open source
framework for isometric games. The engine started as a Fallout-only
project but we recognized very fast that it offers the potential to be
used as a general 2d ISO framework for the development of cross platform
games.

The engine supports the assets of the original Fallout games but it is
also suitable for creating even totally new 2D games. We are focusing on
the creation of an engine itself but will bundle it with an example mod;
so modders have a starting point to create their own games based on our
engine.

Since we do not focus on the creation of a complete game we will be
working on comfortable and easy-to-use editing tools. Engine and editor
are planned to run on all flavours of Linux, Win32 and MacOSX.

The FIFE project is over 12 months in development now and we have
released three public pre-alpha versions of the engine on sourceforge /
freshmeat in January and May 2006. Another release is planned for the
end of the year coming with the first version of our editor tool.

Target aim:
Open source GPL v2.0; non-profit

Compensation:
We are confident that advanced coders will find it quite exciting to
work on the creation and the designing of a whole engine with other
experienced and passionate open source coders. But as we're a non-profit
project the only thing we can provide is a way to express your love for
open source software and the satisfying feeling to work on an ambitious
project.

Technology:
Linux, Windows, MacOSX
C++, Boost library
SDL, OpenGL (optional)
Qt4 for the editor

SVN Sourcecode checkout: Engine
svn co https://svn1.cvsdude.com/fife/engine/trunk/core

SVN Sourcecode checkout: Editor
svn co https://svn1.cvsdude.com/fife/engine/trunk/fifedit

We are searching for:
Qt4 map editor developer
We had already found a developer for our map editor; he did even create
design documents for it. Unfortunately he's quite busy at work currently
so he can't invest much time into the project anymore. The first task
for the editor developer would be to evaluate the current editor design
documents and to decide which parts of them can be used and which ones
need to be redesigned.

You can find them here:
http://wiki.fifengine.de/index.php?title=FIFEdit_Design_Document
http://wiki.fifengine.de/index.php?title=FIFEdit_Functionality
http://wiki.fifengine.de/index.php?title=FIFEdit_Structure

The goal is to create a map editor that is based on QT4 to create maps
for FIFE. Major parts of the needed code are already implemented in the
engine itself; this way we can reduce the amount of code to maintain.
We'll simply link against our static engine library and "just" the
editor specific features need to be written from scratch.

Planned tasks:
1. Evaluate the editor design documents.
2. Decide which parts can be reused and which ones need redesigning.
3. Integrate the engine into the editor. E.g. we to get the editor
working together with our SDL / OpenGL render backends; otherwhise we
would need to write an extra QT render backend for the editor. We
already tried that in the past but the results weren't satisfying
performance-wise, even on modern system. Another problem would be code
duplication because a QT render backend would mean more code to maintain
and it would needed to be kept up to date with the other backends. So we
think "embedding" the SDL / OpenGL backends is the better way to go.

The best way to decide if this project is your cup of tea is to check
out the "getting started"-guide and take a look at your current code base.
http://wiki.fifengine.de/index.php?title=Getting_started
http://wiki.fifengine.de/index.php?title=Subversion_repositor

Team structure:
Phoku - engine core designer & coder
Zahlman - engine core coder
Shadowdancer - engine core coder
Chris - engine core freelancer
Inverse - gfx coder
ismarc - editor core designer & coder (inactive)
Cheesesucker - editor coder
Skybound - XMLmaps & script integration developer
RogerWilco - sound engine developer
IFooBar - MSVC 2005 porter
chewie - lua scripter / mod developer
mvBarracuda - project manager

My job as project manager is to keep the team together and to ensure
that the communication structure inside the team works so everyone
enjoys working on the project. Among other things I'm the official
development wiki maintainer and take care of official and experimental
Win32 builds of the engine.

Website:
http://www.fifengine.de >> Homepage
http://wiki.fifengine.de >> Development wiki
http://mirror1.cvsdude.com/trac/fife/engine/blog >> Development blog
http://wiki.fifengine.de/index.php?title=Getting_started >> Getting
started guide for interested developers
http://docs.fifengine.de >> Doxygen code documentation
http://wiki.fifengine.de/index.php?title=Category:Design_Documents >>
Design documents

Current release:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/fife/FIFE_2006.1_src.tar.bz2?download
 >> FIFE 2006.1 pre-alpha sources
Linux users better get the code from because we added a fair share of
new code since our last official release.

Contacts:
IRC channel: http://wiki.fifengine.de/index.php?title=IRC
eMail: mvBarracuda at web.de
icq: UIN -> 98600423

Important:
You can either use our free XMLmaps with the engine or access the
original Fallout maps with it. If you want to use the Fallout maps you
will need a legit copy of Fallout 1 or 2. The FO 1/2 maps are far more
advanced compared to our own XMLmaps; basically we just set some
placeholder textures on them to have something that lets you start the
engine without having to own Fallout. So if you want to experience the
full beauty: give the Fallout maps a go.

To give you an impression about the status of the project we took sample
screenshots of the current release (using the Fallout maps):

Fallout 2 map featuring our first walking player character:
http://members.fifengine.de/skybound/screenshot_walking.jpg

A very early version of FIFEdit, later abandoned:
http://screens.fifengine.de/editor_002.jpghttp://screens.fifengine.de/editor_002_t.jpg

One of our XML maps:
http://screens.fifengine.de/2006.1.001.jpghttp://screens.fifengine.de/2006.1.001_t.jpg

FIFE can handle different resolutions in spite of the original Fallout
engine:
http://screens.fifengine.de/pre-alpha_002.jpghttp://screens.fifengine.de/pre-alpha_002_t.jpg

The OpenGL render backend supports alphablending:
http://screens.fifengine.de/prototype1_015.jpghttp://screens.fifengine.de/prototype1_015_t.jpg

Feedback:
Feel free to add whatever feedback you like :-) Critics will help us to
improve the project.
<cid:part1.02050705.09070609 at web.de>