[Kde-games-devel] ksudoku and kde-games

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Sat Nov 25 07:12:00 CET 2006

Re discussion on checkpoints (abbreviated below),
I asked my wife about this.  She is a beginning
Sudoku player (on paper) and is already very good
after just a few weeks' experience.

For when you get to a difficult situation and are not sure
how to proceed, as in those very difficult Sudokus where
you have to branch and backtrack, Lisa suggested that we
allow the player to change the pen or pencil color.  That is
what many players would do on paper.  Then if you want
to backtrack over all the work in the new colour, the menu
would have "Undo all green", etc.

I realise that blue, grey and red are taken, so there are
not many colors left that would show up well on a pale
grey background, but perhaps the authors could give this
idea some thought.  An alternative might be to simulate
highlighter pens in the background of the cell (yellow,
pink, etc.), but that might clash with existing highlighting
of row, column and square under the mouse cursor.

In brief, I am now suggesting that the "Actions" menu
should have (instead of "Push Checkpoint" and "Pop
Checkpoint"):

    Undo
    Redo
    Change pen color (OR Change pencil color)
    Undo all <color>
    Redo all <color>

where <color> is the last pen or pencil color selected.

Changing pen or pencil color is equivalent to "Push
Checkpoint", but with a visual indication of changes
after that point.  "Undo all <color>" is equivalent to
"Pop checkpoint".

Cheers, Ian W.