[Kde-games-devel] IRC meeting archives

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Mon Dec 4 09:53:28 CET 2006

Am Sonntag, 3. Dezember 2006 09:34 schrieb Kleag:
> Hello,
>
> Where is the transcript of this meeting ? I'm not able to find it. Maybe
> should the transcripts be systematicaly linked from the IRC meeting Wiki
> page ?

I have attached the log. We might put it into the wiki or at least link from
the wiki page. Hopefully lists.kde.org will support attachments one day so we
can link to the list archives.

Josef
-------------- next part --------------
KDE Games IRC meeting (irc://irc.freenode.net/#kdegames) 2006-12-01

19:59 < josef|vista> will we log the meeting? I'm logging anyway...
20:00 < dimsuz> hi
20:00 < dimsuz> me too
20:01 < piacentini> let us start?
20:01 < annma> ok
20:01 < josef|vista> yep
20:01 < piacentini> round of introductions as always?
20:01 < piacentini> mauricio piacentini, working on kmahjongg
20:02 < dimsuz> dmitry suzdalev, working on kreversi and katomic
20:02 < dbdkmezz> paul broadbent, working on kolf
20:02 < piacentini> everybody post at once :)
20:02 < daren> daren sawkey, (unofficially) working on kbackgammon
20:02 < josef|vista> josef spillner from ggzgamingzone.org
20:02 < annma> anne marie mahfouf from kde-edu
20:03 < [ksudoku]Josel> johannes bergmeier helping on ksudoku
20:03 < piacentini> should we start with the new projects?
20:03 < piacentini> maybe ksudoku, as you guys are here?
20:03 < [ksudoku]RedsH> francesco rossi, ksudoku 0.3 author
20:04 < piacentini> If I remember correctly, you guys are still considering if ksudoku will join kdegames or not, right?
20:04 < piacentini> there were a lot of requests for it in the games survey
20:04 < [ksudoku]RedsH> yes we have not completely decided yet
20:05 < piacentini> k. is there anything we can help you with?
20:05 < dimsuz> [ksudoku]RedsH: but you know about implications?
20:05 < annma> what holds you back if i may ask?
20:05 < dimsuz> :)
20:05 < [ksudoku]RedsH> no, i was about to ask
20:05 < dimsuz> yup. I can help
20:05 < dimsuz> if needed :)
20:06  * pinotree raises his hand
20:06 < [ksudoku]RedsH> i need to know if joining kdegames influences:
20:06 < [ksudoku]RedsH> license
20:06 < [ksudoku]RedsH> possibility to make a windows port
20:06 < dimsuz> pinotree: ?
20:06 < piacentini> Well, if the game gets included in the tree (after review) you will automatically get millions of testers :)
20:06 < piacentini> as for the license
20:07  * pinotree is here too, konversation team
20:07 < pinotree> err
20:07 < pinotree> kombination team ;)
20:07 < dimsuz> :)
20:07 < [ksudoku]RedsH> how does the review work?
20:07 < annma> it needs a GPL eauivalent licence
20:07 < [ksudoku]RedsH> it has already
20:07 < [ksudoku]RedsH> GPL
20:07 < piacentini> so there is no change in the status
20:07 < annma> window port: by being in KDE svn your code will be fixed for windows
20:08 < annma> windows port
20:08 < piacentini> about the windows port: Kde 4 is being ported by windows and osx
20:08 < pinotree> ( http://developer.kde.org/policies/licensepolicy.html )
20:08 < [ksudoku]RedsH> but what do you think we should work on in order to join kdegames?
20:08 < dimsuz> [ksudoku]RedsH: kdelibs4 will be available for win32
20:08 < josef|vista> review is broader than just code review, e.g. the usability people frequently look at applications inside the released modules
20:08 < [ksudoku]RedsH> ok great
20:08 < annma> you need to have a working game with minimum doc
20:08 < annma> and all i18n
20:09 < annma> for translators to do their job
20:09 < dimsuz> [ksudoku]RedsH: currently ksudoku is qt3 only?
20:09 < [ksudoku]RedsH> is there any "standard" for playing interface, network gaming, graphics and so on?
20:09 < dimsuz> i mean not ported to qt4?
20:10 < [ksudoku]RedsH> we are working on it
20:10 < annma> we would like as many as possible default graphics in Oxygen theme for KDE4
20:10 < pinotree> [ksudoku]RedsH: well, it should be compliant about user interface
20:10 < pinotree> for example, menus, toolbars, labels
20:10 < [ksudoku]RedsH> yes yes
20:10 < pinotree> http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/basics/index.html
20:10 < josef|vista> I know for a fact that for external projects it's really tough to switch to Qt4 although the time is coming now
20:11 < [ksudoku]Josel> we are currently working on a code review, before starting with doc and kde4 port
20:11 < [ksudoku]RedsH> and about save-file format?
20:11 < pinotree> no constraints
20:11 < [ksudoku]Josel> i have experience about kde4 and the first step is allready done (we are using CMake ;)
20:12 < annma> :)
20:12 < [ksudoku]RedsH> sounds?
20:12 < pinotree> of course, if the format is something alrady used (wildly), it's better
20:12 < pinotree> ogg
20:12 < piacentini> RedsH: to be bluntly honest, your game is in better shape than most of the ones in the kdegames module right now... I guess with Josel 's help you can get it into shape quickly for playground, and from then to kdereview
20:12 < annma> sounds: no constraints although unifying stuff would be good
20:12 < [ksudoku]RedsH> thanks
20:12 < [ksudoku]RedsH> josel had an interesting idea
20:12 < [ksudoku]RedsH> :
20:13 < piacentini> For sounds, you will need to play via Phonon. Easy to setup once you are in kde4
20:13 < [ksudoku]RedsH> multiplayer mode for ksudoku
20:13 < josef|vista> pinotree, [ksudoku]RedsH: well there is no central authority on that but we (ggz) always try to consolidate in the area of file formats so since we also have a sudoku game we'd be glad to accept whichever format is established first
20:13 < pinotree> josef|vista: erm... what did i say? :)
20:14 < [ksudoku]RedsH> excuse the ignorance: what is the standard for multiplayer, internet highscores for kdegames?
20:14 < josef|vista> that's a later topic for today :)
20:14 < annma> ;)
20:14 < [ksudoku]RedsH> re-excuse the ignorance..
20:14 < pinotree> which point of view from?
20:14 < piacentini> Well, I propose that we let RedsH consider the suggestions so far...
20:15 < piacentini> and we can discuss the kggzmod topic?
20:15 < piacentini> josef?
20:15 < josef|vista> yep
20:15 < josef|vista> this is a really old topic already
20:15 < pinotree> (yeah...)
20:16 < dimsuz> i'm not aware...
20:16 < josef|vista> so the idea is to provide a standard platform for networking for all sorts of toolkits
20:16 < dimsuz> perhaps others too ;)
20:16 < josef|vista> for some reason we never really provided convenience APIs for the programming style of these toolkits but recently we started to do it
20:16 < josef|vista> so for KDE games, there is now an API in the works to hook up with GGZ in a really easy way
20:17 < dimsuz> josef|vista: are they pure C++? some additional libs maybe?
20:17 < josef|vista> they're pure Qt-based classes
20:17 < josef|vista> very easy signal+slots concepts
20:17 < dimsuz> ok
20:17 < josef|vista> let me show you an (ugly) picture
20:17 < josef|vista> http://www.ggzgamingzone.org/~josef/gamedev-support.png
20:17 < dimsuz> any docs, tutorials?
20:17 < piacentini> where is it now in svn?
20:18 < josef|vista> pinotree: http://svn.ggzgamingzone.org/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/browser/trunk/kde-games/lib/kggzmod
20:18 < josef|vista> err, piacentini
20:18 < josef|vista> let me explain how it works since there is not really a tutorial yet (but it's already included in our gamedev guide)
20:19 -!- MuJ [i=chryse at hell.fiveam.org] has joined #kdegames
20:19 -!- zorglu_ [n=zorglub at 206.43.102-84.rev.gaoland.net] has joined #kdegames
20:19 < josef|vista> kggzmod is the low-level interface which you call to connect you to a game server
20:19 < MuJ> we have games? O_o
20:19 < josef|vista> as soon as this has happened, you can exchange messages with it...
20:19 < josef|vista> this is where ggzcomm cames in, which is similar to dcopidl2cpp... it takes a formal protocol description and generates the code for it
20:19 < dimsuz> cool
20:20 < josef|vista> on top of that we provide standard dialogs for player management and the like
20:20 < josef|vista> we also have highscores but we'll see how we integrate this with kgame since there's already a highscore dialog
20:20 < pinotree> is ti able to do peer-to-peer connections? eg via xmpp
20:21  * dimsuz thinks that current kdegames highscores need fixing/redesign
20:21 < josef|vista> well widelands uses it for p2p-style gaming but it's not really optimised for it... I mean in the end you still want statistics stored somewhere, right?
20:22 < josef|vista> so the idea is that if you're in GGZ and a game wants p2p, it gives you a privacy warning (since you will have to reveal your identity) and then you connect to other players (e.g. with TCP or UDP) but stay connected to the GGZ server with a TCP connection
20:22 < pinotree> i suppose highscores could be disabled when in p2p
20:22 < pinotree> what about using xmpp instead of direct tcp connection?
20:22 < josef|vista> I know very little desktop games which really require p2p so far
20:23 < piacentini> so the proposal is to somehow have this API available in libkdegames, maybe integrating with or replacing the current highscores in the process?
20:23 < josef|vista> the idea was to integrate it as an input layer into kgame... which certainly means some kgame modifications but in general the abstraction of input sources shall remain
20:24 < josef|vista> but I haven't looked into the integration yet, I'm glad it works as it is so far :-)
20:24 < piacentini> i like the libkdegames integration idea
20:24 < piacentini> but someone has to code it :)
20:24 < josef|vista> also note that GNOME is now using GGZ and so the idea of having common networking protocols is good - it will make it easier to find other players online
20:24 < dimsuz> and we need libkdegames maintainer btw ;)
20:25 < josef|vista> netcat games.gnome.org 5688 :)
20:25 < piacentini> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGames/Multiplayer