[Kde-games-devel] Server Load balancing for GGZ

Mathieu Jobin mathieu at justbudget.com
Sun Dec 3 02:41:31 CET 2006

Hi,

I'm pretty excited to see most KDE games supported on the GGZ networking
plateform. I think it was missing and using the already working and stable
GGZ plateform is a great idea. I've read through the Games meeting of friday
night (which happened to be saturday morning at 4am for me) anyway. I
remember seeing that it is good to take on a technology that already works
for gnome. but even though gnome started using GGZ as well. GGZ have KDE
applications listed on kde-apps already for a quite a while. so as Java
applet, SDL games and more. so yes its good to be working all together but
saying "we are going with what works for gnome" is a little misleading I
believe. I prefer thinking that both Gnome and KDE are going toward what is
working for everyone already. GGZ.

thus said. I am a bit worried about potential server issues once many KDE
games supports GGZ. I have no idea. it might not be an issue at all. But I
believe we should plan ahead. (Vaut mieux prevenir que guerir). Does the
server code would have to be modified to enable load balancing? or it could
be done simply with tunnels and other networking tricks?

ideally, it should work a bit like IRC. people can connect to any server but
endup together on the same network.

or am I worrying for nothing, and bandwidth and CPU usage is really not an
issue on the current GGZ server?

thanks for considering

Mathieu

--
gcc -O0  -DRUBY_EXPORT   -rdynamic -Wl,-export-dynamic -L.   main.o
-lruby-static

Mathieu