[Kde-games-devel] Tileset storage location and KNewStuff

mauricio at tabuleiro.com mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Wed Aug 30 22:18:31 CEST 2006

Hi, guys. I am working on scalable tilesets for KMahjongg, as you know. My
plan is to also use these in KShisen also. My second plan is to enable
KNewStuff on both, so we could optimize the payload of the package, and
still maintain a good selection of tilesets in a central location,
probably games.kde.org. Future games that use tilesets (like a real
Mahjongg multiplayer-game, or one of the countless puzzle variations like
Dragon Slayer) could also benefit from this shared repository or data.

I considered several approaches for this, and need some advice. One idea
is to create a new data-only module, and install maybe to
/usr/share/apps/tilesets.

Another approach would be to integrate this into libkdegames, in the same
way card data is handled. However, the current approach for card data does
not use KNewStuff. Also, apparently according to the docs the packagers
are free to store card data separately, and Debian uses

/usr/share/apps/carddecks

for example, and make the package a requirement only for kpat, lskat and
kpoker.

So I am looking for ideas. Anyone?

Regards,
Mauricio