[Kde-games-devel] KReversi and KMahjongg

Dmitry Suzdalev dimsuz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 10:17:19 CEST 2006

> Well, guess it is a nice way to spend a self-imposed sabbatical year :)
> BTW, I have registered for Akademy. I believe it could serve as a focal
> point for some of the efforts we have been discussing for the past two
> or three weeks. Are you guys planning to attend?
I won't be there. It is great that you can attend!

> To be honest, the graphics are functional, and at least the game already
> have zoom in/zoom out capabilities. So it is in better shape compared
> with others in the tree, imo. But there is room for improvement, of course.
For example not too use this discrete zoomIn/zoomOut actions and allow
usual window resizing instead.

Speaking of SVG - I'm a total noob with this technology. All that I
know of it is that it's an xml file which describes vector graphics
shapes contained in picture :).
But I look forward to learn more as it comes :).

> The worst part in Kreversi is probably the arrangement of the widget
> that displays the piece count. It leaves an awful white space below it,
> completely wasted. We should probably change the design a bit to
> integrate this information over the background, and in an arrangement
> that does not waste that much space. It is a nice exercise,
> I will work on something during the weekend and will send it to you (and
> the list) for review.
I have the same feelings. Btw in previous versions number of pieces
was displayed in status bar. That looks more beautiful to me, but
maybe that's not a perfect desicion...

> One feature I would like to implement (maybe before Akademy, or during
> it) is the integration of KNewStuff. This seems a perfect fit for this
> game, enabling the sharing and automatic installation of new tilesets,
> backgrounds and layouts. What do you guys think?
I think that's a perfect idea.

>  Maybe this could even be an action in the toolbar and not a
> configuration option (probably a good idea for KMahjongg as well).
Actually that is exactly what I plan to do :). Put this option in
"View" menu, and maybe to toolbar.

Cheers, Dmitry.