[Kde-games-devel] libkdegames

Dmitry Suzdalev dimsuz at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 16:19:40 CEST 2006

On Sunday 13 August 2006 17:32, Jaison Lee wrote:
> Adding the nifty new features we're discussing to libkdegames. There
> is definately something to "if you build it they will come" mentality.
One more thing to mention is that while discussing new features to add, let's
discuss also is there something to remove.
I know we've already discussed KGameIO* here and everyone (including me)
agreed that this is a useful concept.
But... IIRC it's used in only 2 (or even one) games from all of kdegames. If
it's useful but almost no one uses it, then maybe we should rethink its
usage? Useful != usable_and_applicable sometimes.
The same applies to KGame/KPlayer. Search kdegames for the games that use it
and you'll see what I mean. Two or three of them.

What is used from libkdegames is KStdGameAction, Highscore's, KChat.
Though through what I've seen they all need to be polished too :).

> Drop older games that noone wants to maintain. Spruce up existing ones
> (both the code and the visuals) to try and attract new maintainers,
> and add some new ones to get people's attention again. (In that
> order.)
>
> Get the word out. Benjamin Meyer has already shown that if you ask for
> help people will usually show up. This also holds true for getting
> people to help with the graphics.
Yes, that was what I've been thinking about. For example, I can do a
not-very-fancy things when it comes to creating graphics :). In fact, some
may find it quite rude :). So it would be very good if person like me could
ask some good artist somewhere to design some cool thingies for my game :).

> What I would really like is some feedback from Stephan, who is at
> least listed as the package's current maintainer. (AUTHORS files are
> not always up-to-date so I don't know if that has changed or not.)
Yes, he is still paying attention to kdegames. At least some time ago when I
asked on irc whether I can do certain changes to kdegames and who do I need
to contact, he pointed me at the AUTHORS file and then said "feel free to
proced ;)"
I'm not sure whether he's subscribed to this list though.

Dmitry.