[Kde-games-devel] libkdegames

Jaison Lee lee.jaison at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 15:32:23 CEST 2006

> > I think more card-based stuff could be moved down to kdelibs instead
> > of each program utilizing their own homebrew. Rough examples:
> I am not fully sure this is really necessary, but on the other hand it is
> not really difficult either.

It's an oppurtunity for standardization, which I think will help
kdegames over all. There are too many different versions of
essentially the same thing, which I believe is one factor that has
caused this module to lag in development.

> > GENERAL KDEGAMES STUFF:
> It is a question whether we should take many more games in (although I like
> the hearts idea) as we already have a maintenance problem. However, since
> quite a while I was thinking whether we could not have kind of a auxiliary
> kdegames package,

I think not taking in more games and creating seperate packages is
just giving up on the problem, which is that kdegames has simply
lacked anyone's attention for a while. Neglect over time has led to
the situation we're in now. I think it's worth trying to correct the
problem instead of giving in to it, mostly because I think a lot of
good things can be done now. Qt has never been better for graphics
work, more and more "home users" are using linux and KDE all the time,
and games often provide a good place to for new programmers to get
their feet wet which is why I'm a little surprised this module has
lagged for so long.

In general, I think things can be helped by:

Adding the nifty new features we're discussing to libkdegames. There
is definately something to "if you build it they will come" mentality.

Drop older games that noone wants to maintain. Spruce up existing ones
(both the code and the visuals) to try and attract new maintainers,
and add some new ones to get people's attention again. (In that
order.)

Get the word out. Benjamin Meyer has already shown that if you ask for
help people will usually show up. This also holds true for getting
people to help with the graphics.

What I would really like is some feedback from Stephan, who is at
least listed as the package's current maintainer. (AUTHORS files are
not always up-to-date so I don't know if that has changed or not.)